The Impact of Digital Advertising on Customer-Brand Proximity
In an era where technology has become an integral part of our everyday lives, brands are increasingly leveraging digital advertising strategies to forge closer connections with their customers. Various studies show that digital advertising can be an effective tool in bringing the customer closer to the brand (Lamberton & Stephen, 2016; Bruhn, Schoenmueller & Schäfer, 2017).
Digital advertising comprises an array of methods, from targeted ads on social media platforms to pay-per-click advertising on search engines, email marketing, content marketing, and more. These methods enable businesses to personalize their messages, offering consumers tailored experiences that are more likely to resonate (Ho, Tan & Goonetilleke, 2020).
A 2018 study by Accenture revealed that 91% of consumers are more likely to shop with brands that recognize, remember, and provide relevant offers and recommendations (Accenture, 2018). This demonstrates the importance of personalization, which digital advertising uniquely provides, in establishing a close relationship with the customer.
Moreover, digital advertising allows brands to foster a sense of community. Social media platforms provide an interactive space for customers to engage with the brand, thus establishing a more intimate connection (Hudson, Huang, Roth & Madden, 2016). This connection fosters brand loyalty and strengthens customer relationships.
Yet, it’s important to acknowledge that these digital advertising strategies need to be executed with precision. Brands should focus on creating genuine, meaningful content that offers value to the consumer (Pulizzi, 2012). Furthermore, they should respect privacy concerns and ensure that personalization does not infringe upon the customer’s comfort and trust (Martin, 2018).
In conclusion, Forging Closer Relationships with Your Customers via Digital Ads through digital advertising can indeed bring the customer closer to the brand, fostering stronger, more intimate relationships. However, successful digital advertising requires a careful balance of personalization, community-building, and respect for customer privacy.
- Accenture. (2018). Personalization Pulse Check. https://www.accenture.com/_acnmedia/PDF-86/Accenture-Pulse-Check-Infographic.pdf
- Bruhn, M., Schoenmueller, V., & Schäfer, D. (2017). Are social media replacing traditional media in terms of brand equity creation? Management Research Review.
- Hudson, S., Huang, L., Roth, M. S., & Madden, T. J. (2016). The influence of social media interactions on consumer–brand relationships: A three-country study of brand perceptions and marketing behaviors. International Journal of Research in Marketing.
- Lamberton, C., & Stephen, A. T. (2016). A thematic exploration of digital, social media, and mobile marketing: Research evolution from 2000 to 2015 and an agenda for future inquiry. Journal of Marketing.
- Martin, K. D. (2018). The Role of Privacy in Marketing: An Examination of the Effects of Personal and Professional Context and the Meaning of Privacy. Journal of Public Policy & Marketing.
- Pulizzi, J. (2012). The rise of storytelling as the new marketing. Publishing Research Quarterly.
- Ho, Y. X., Tan, G. W. H., & Goonetilleke, A. (2020). Social media brand engagement and consumer purchase intention: A two-stage approach with PLS-SEM. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services.